From the small eyes of a small chinese boy

My experiences when i walk through life, my thoughts and of course my condescending brand of humor.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Was thinking back...to my army days...

Several memories still linger strongly in my 2 1/2 year jail term in SAF. As much as I didn't like it when i was in it, I can safely say that I learnt how to overcome anything and everything that came my way. I met some fantastic people, people who were nerds before coming into army, yet left as real men.

I wasn't a brilliant sergeant in the army, it was a small leadership role I played in the recce platoon in the 4th Singapore Infantry Regiment. Well, the problem is, I don't like telling people what to do, because I don't like getting told what to do. Haha. Thankfully, I was blessed with capable troopers (some were more capable than me), who were fairly cooperative.

Still remember on the hot afternoons, we would gather to play soccer, all the cursing, all the swearing...all the memories. I miss that. The mahjong sessions until 6am. I miss that. The chats we had when we were outfield in the darkness. I miss that. The deafening sound of rifles going off in the range. I miss that. Getting kicked around during P.O.W training. Dun really miss that.

Well, its proof that GOD brings light, even in the darkest of times..

One of my men asked me once "So sarge chris, what are you going to do after we get out?"

I replied "Don't have a clue..if only I didn't screw up my A's.."

The thing is now, I don't regret screwing up my A's, infact, it is probably one of the biggest blessings of my life. I got to come to Australia to study, to learn and to get reunited with CHRIST.

If only I knew then, what I know now.

SO don't dismiss the bad stuff that happens, it can be a blessing